AND this answer is also for:
My 6 year old cat sometimes poops on a hardwood floor, even though there is a clean litter box nearby. At other times she goes in her litter box. Totally random. It is almost like she wants me to see what she has done!
This is a good question, to which there are so many answers. I’ve literally seen this as the cause for different cats:
- I don’t like my litter box, even though I liked it before.
- I don’t like having just one litter box, even though I did fine most of my life with just one.
- I don’t like my other partner using my litter box, even though before I was ok with it.
- I’m a litter box diva. You better get my toilet situation set up just right.
- You put my litter box so far out of site, far away through a maze of stairs and rooms so I either forget or it’s too inconvenient to pee or poop there.
- I don’t like the room where my litter box is, even though I was fine with it before.
- I don’t like when my pee touches my poop and vice versa.
- I have an medical issue with my plumbing.
- It hurts when I pee or poop, and I’ve associated this negativity with the box, and I’ve been searching for a good place to go ever since.
- I’m arthritic, and it hurts to go where my box is.
- I’m arthritic, and my box is too small for me to make a three point turn to get out once I walk in.
- You’ve fixed my medical issue, but haven't retrained me yet.
- The new person, child or visitor to my home made me stressed, and inflamed my bladder.
- The cat outside the door made me stressed, and inflamed my bladder.
- The food I’m eating made crystals and my bladder got inflamed.
- The change you did to our furniture made me stressed, and inflamed my bladder.
- My bladder iust got inflamed. No reason to be found.
- I don’t like your boyfriend, he makes me anxious and you should get a new one.
- I don’t like change.
- Not enough has changed…I’m bored and anxious.
- I had an accident. I occasionally do that, but I mostly use the box.
- I’m older and a bit senile.
Of course we can break down the medical stuff even further. The fleas would count as a medical issue - it would more irritate her than anything else so treat her for that. Then get or make new litter boxes to evaluate her for the first few things I have listed.
P.S. - I like how you say “pan” instead of litter box. I might start saying that!